Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Prayers


Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have
put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift
up my soul.
-- Psalm 143:8

In nearly every disciple's life, there comes a time of
loneliness and doubt. It seems as if our prayer requests just
bounce off the ceiling and fall in broken pieces at our feet. God
seems distant, hiding, asleep, or unsympathetic to our cries for
mercy and help. Thankfully God gives us the Psalms. In the Psalms
we can find words for almost all of life's ups and downs. When we
are down, it is nice to know that others have been there before us
and have recovered their faith and vitality. But, there are just
some moments in life when we need to have God's reminders of his
love and guidance. This psalm and these words are made for such a
time. If the request in today's Scripture is not relevant to your
need, then please, pray these words for someone else. If, on the
other hand, they speak to you then please, pray them for yourself


Dear Father, please make your presence undeniably known in my
life and help me clearly see your presence and mercy. I want to
honor you, dear God, but please make your guidance clear so that I
can follow you boldly and faithfully in your will. In Jesus' name I
pray. Amen.



Isaiah 41:10-11 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am
your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you
with my righteous right hand. All who rage against you will surely
be ashamed and disgraced; those who oppose you will be as nothing
and perish".



Thank you, dear Father! You are not only the God of the heavens,
but you are also my God. You know me and care about me. You hear my
cries for help and mercy. You share my struggles and burdens.
Please deliver me from every enemy, both physical and spiritual,
and give me boldness to stand firm in my faith in you. In Jesus'
name I ask this. Amen.



Not only does God's blessing rest on us, his presence goes with
us. We cannot ever be in a place where he is not with us (see Psalm
139). His presence and power will uphold us and strengthen us. No
matter what may happen in and to our physical bodies or our
physical worlds, in Jesus, God has given us the ultimate triumph
over every enemy and all wickedness. Even Jesus' doubters and
enemies will worship our Lord and kneel at his feet and will
recognize that our faith is not only appropriate, but it is
victorious. (cf. 1 Thess. 1)

-- Isaiah 41:13 "For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you".


Abba Father, whose presence and help are always near, please
help me have faith that you are here. I confess that at certain
points in my life, you have seemed distant and I have felt alone.
Please remind me through your Spirit of your nearness and your
care. In my moments of struggle and doubt, please make your
presence known. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


Life crashes in and we wish we could be children again and have
someone to take care of us and protect us. Into our confused and
chaotic world, God's promise comes to us once again. Like a loving
parent with a frightened child, God reaches out and takes hold of
our hands and comforts us with his precious words: "Don't be
afraid. I'm here with you. I will help." Even when he seems
distant, the echo of this thought can remind us that we are never
alone or forgotten. (cf. Heb. 13:5-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment